The New Pasture Edge trig point is situated on heather moorland near the former lead mines on Grassington Moor. It was built in 1949 as one of the third order of trig points.
|Station Name:||New Pasture Edge|
|Date Built:||20th August 1949|
|Levelling Date:||1st July 1954|
|Historic Use:||3rd order|
|TUK Ref No:||TP5099|
|No. of Visits:||3|
The New Pasture Edge trig point can be reached fairly easily by a gate on Limekiln Lane, a track running north-west from the house at Yarnbury. Even better, for those who fancy a quick trip, there is room to park a few cars at the end of Fell Lane opposite Yarnbury so it only a 5-10 minute walk to the trig point.
An unusual feature of the trig point is that it still has the engraved spider in place on the top of the trig point. Even more unusually is the string attached to the loop holes that once would have been used to help attach the surveyor’s theodolite.
The view includes Great Whernside, Simon’s Seat and Cracoe Fell. Standing prominently to the east is the chimney from the old Cupola Corner lead mines.