The Witton Fell trig point is situated on a patch of moorland right next to a conifer plantation on Witton Fell. It was built in 1953 as one of the secondary order of trig points.
|Station Name:||Witton Fell|
|Date Built:||18th August 1953|
|Levelling Date:||1st June 1955|
|TUK Ref No:||TP7012|
|No. of Visits:||1|
It is the easternmost trig point within the boundary of the Yorkshire Dales National Park. What should be an expansive view eastwards is completely obscured by the neighbouring trees. The main ‘view’ is westwards towards Braithwaite Moor, to the north a gap in the trees reveals Leyburn.
There are no rights of way to the Witton Fell trig point and it is not situated on access land either. It is however fairly close to a good track that passes through the plantation. The easiest way to reach this track is to take Sowden Beck Road out of East Witton. The plantation is not quite as extensive as the map suggests and the trig point is actually sat on a small open area of heather.